<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d5464479\x26blogName\x3dQUESARAH\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://quesarah.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://quesarah.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1790881057563968812', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

QUESARAH

Desktop Confessional

I'll be wishing I was there.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Meesh and I have this wishful plan of going somewhere at the end of 2005. We're thinking maybe Vietnam. Or Thailand. Anywhere really, I'm not fussy. I'm trying pretty hard to save as much as I can. It's not been successful so far. Maybe the best method is that I barricade myself from a mall.

I never thought of visiting Vietnam until I read Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour, where he describes the country so beautifully and with so much passion that you can't help but fall in love with it as well; despite never having been there yourself. I'm easily swayed by powerful words and imagery, what can I say. But seriously, reading Bourdain tell you about the aroma of food and spices fusing together while he sits on a sampan at the floating market in Cai Rang is .. intoxicating, even if you're just simply decoding alphabets printed in a damned book. This is very good writing, the kind of writing that takes you away, and makes you yearn to see the sights that the author sees.

Bourdain has, probably, the best job in the world. Eating and making his way around the world. Writing about it, has his own TV show, best-selling author.

We should all be so lucky.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  1. Blogger Kenny Sia said:

    Hey those pictures are from Hong Kong isn't it?

    Yea I'm a little bit intrigued by the Vietnamese culture as well. I always thought the Thais and the Vietnamese are quite similar culturally and linguistically (both cultures speak like ducks talking). Personally I've met friendlier ppl from Vietnam than Thailand. Besides, Vietnam is a place so rich in history with the Vietnam war and what not. So I say if you have the chance to visit that country, go for it eh?

  1. Blogger Regina said:

    Bah. Anthony Bourdain would probably say the same thing sitting on a trishaw passing by Chulia Street or Love Lane, Penang.

  1. Anonymous Ripcord said:

    Disagree. I think that other English lad who always looks like he hasn't showered for weeks has the best job in the world. whatsisname...? was it steve irwin or ian wright?

  1. Blogger meiteoh said:

    Rip: It's Ian Wright. :p

    Sarah: To travel ala Bourdain style, you need to ditch the tours first of all and stay in backpackers and use a map. Can you handle the pressure? :p

    But it sounds like a good place to go to - they speak French there and according to boyfriend, serve the best baguette - better than the ones in France.

    As for me, I'm going to France. :p

  1. Blogger Colin said:

    Airfares to Vietnam are getting cheaper. Lived here for some years and changes since I first got here have been incredible. If you need any info for your trip please email me

  1. Blogger sarah said:

    kenny: haha. you're right- they do speak like ducks talking sometimes. ive heard the same thing about vietnamese ppl being friendlier. and food better also, yum yum. (apparently)

    regina: ooh, i remember where lover's lane is!

    ripcord: steve irwin is the australian that plays with crocs and says "crikey" a lot, am i right? ian wright's cool. he seems spontaneous and laid-back!

    the scarfer: i've always, always wanted to go backpacking but as for whether i'll be able to walk the walk and talk the talk .. well, you'd never know if you don't give it a shot eh? ;)

  1. Blogger sarah said:

    oh and colin, thanks very much for assisting in my vietnamese dream. leave your email add behind one of these days.

  1. Blogger priya said:

    Bourdain makes me want to go ANYWHERE - regina has a point y'know. =)

  1. Anonymous S-Kay said:

    I have like all his tour books with me. His first book was super hillarious =D

    Go to Thailand first before Vietnam. Ok..either way, you'll enjoy yourself. Thailand is more for the lingerie shopping but Vietnam is the food

  1. Blogger sarah said:

    priya: haha. are you from penang as well?

    s-kay: i choose food over lingerie! :D

  1. Anonymous S-Kay said:

    ahhahahah......I would too =P I told my BF, if you give me a choice between buying loads of clothes and buying myself loads and loads of food...I would choose the latter =P

  1. Anonymous Anonymous said:

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
    » » »

leave a comment