<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d5464479\x26blogName\x3dQUESARAH\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://quesarah.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://quesarah.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1790881057563968812', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

QUESARAH

Desktop Confessional

Godfather goldfish.

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

My dad has an obsession for fishes. First, it was one of those damned Golden Horn ones. In its peak, we had around seven (SEVEN!) in the house, and three aquariums just to house the ugly things. Like any other fad my dad has been into, Golden Horn Obsession slowly dwindled, and he has turned his head toward redder pastures: goldfishes.

Granted, there are still some Golden Horns around and these were the lucky four that are still alive. I can't even begin to count the amount of goldfishes we have now. The three aquariums that used to contain Golden Horns are now occupied by goldfishes, and the Golden Horns have been relegated to an older aquarium, with hardly any attention from dad besides the weekly cleaning and daily feeding. He spends an hour every night admiring his goldfishes, his eyes following them as they swim and collide with each other. Goldfishes are dead clumsy by the way.

My mom too has somehow fallen in love with the goldfishes, particularly the largest, fattest and clumsiest of the lot. I would call this goldfish the Godfather of all the goldfishes in my house. You usually can tell him apart from the rest because, well, he is the roundest and also because he has this habit of floating upside down, often making my parens worry that their beloved Godfather had died. Did I also mention that Godfather is the father of some four little fishes in a smaller tank? The mother died soon after birth.

My mom simpers with affection whenever Godfather floats by, upside down of course. She oohs and aahs like a small girl, enthralled in the presence of such an important goldfish. She calls him "tai lo" (meaning big brother in Cantonese), but I prefer Godfather. Anyway, she talks to Godfather a lot. He'll come floating (UPSIDE DOWN! GOD!) and she'll be like, "Oi, tai lo. Why are you so lazy? (insert giggle)"

Don't get me wrong, I think its cute that my mom talks to fishes. It's almost as cute as when my dad got overemotional about LaToya Landon's departure on tonight's episode of American Idol (ASTRO- late). I think I'm probably just jealous that my mom has a better disposition toward a FISH, than she has towards me: her daughter and not to mention, a human being who talks back and doesn't walk upside down.

My mom usually always snaps at me and gets irritated for no reason. Like today, I walked down to the hall and she starts snapping at me to wash the dishes. And I would normally (because NO ONE has the initiative to do it), it wasn't like I was putting up a fight that I didn't want to do it.. but she just kept snapping at me and calling me "lazy". Yeah sure, mom. I sweep and mop the floors, clean the toilets too. Isn't that enough?

Anyway, this isn't a rant about my mother and I.

Unlike my parents, I hate fish. In fact, I'm afraid of them. I hate how they look, I'm afraid to even TOUCH a live fish. Cupping a fish in my hand, or transfering a fish from one bucket to another would scare the beejesus out of me. It's an irrational fear; I know I would have been better of being afraid of cockroaches (which I am not, fortunately) but there's nothing much I can do about it, is there? According to Real Fears, my condition is called Ichthyophobia. (Well. At least it's documented.)

Furthermore, I don't think fishes make good pets. You can't cuddle with them, can't pet it, can't take it to the vet if it falls sick- it's all so impersonal. My dad's "burial" for his dead Golden Horns were to put them in a plastic bag and throw them away. See what I mean? Cold. You wouldn't put a dog, or a cat for the matter, in a plastic bag would you? Hell, you wouldn't even put a gerbil in a plastic bag.

Maybe when I get my camera batteries back, I'd take a photo of Godfather. He preens pretty well, likes the attention I reckon. I'll make sure that he'll be in his favourite pose- upside down.

  1. Blogger Applegal said:

    An upside down obese goldfish would freak me out too :P My mom used to have a fish thing too, we had quite a number of tanks before her fish started dying and the interest died along with them :P

    I also have an irrational fear concerning fish, but it's diseased or dead fish :P I cannot bear seeing dead fish in the tank, I'll freak. Put me in a claustrophobic aquarium shop with loads of wide eyed, sickly and dead fish and I'll go insane!!

  1. Blogger chasyss said:

    i have a phobia of fishes too. it's completely irrational and very weird (to others). can't walk through those pet stores or fish places without really freaking out.

  1. Blogger sashi said:

    I had about 11 fishes until recently, when four died after the great inter-fish massacre of 2004. Now only 3 goldfish are left. Names are Itchy (whose partner Scratchy died two weeks ago), Rocky (the goldfish formerly known as Airwolf) and Sally....

  1. Blogger sarah said:

    Applegal and chasyss: :D I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one afraid of fishies!

    Sashi: 11 fishes! And one formerly known as Airwolf! LOL!

  1. Blogger Peter said:

    I am not too fond of looking after them but I just love to watch those obese goldfishes wiggle in the aquarium. It is fun and it is relaxing.

  1. Blogger sarah said:

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  1. Blogger sarah said:

    Peter: Yes the looking after can be a pain. The smallest pets but the hardest to look after. Ironic-nyer.

leave a comment